Job Title: Facilities & Maintenance Manager
Salary: £26k+ Dependent on Experience
Hours per week: 5 days per week, 40 hours in total, 08:00-17:00 daily
Contract type: Permanent
Managers: Estates Manager and General Manager
Line Management Responsibilities: Maintenance Team, Cleaners, Mail Porter
Key Relationships: Operations Manager, Events Managers, Visual Arts Manager, Technical Manager, Technical Coordinator, Finance Manager, Building Tenants
Location: Summerhall Management Ltd. 1 Summerhall, Edinburgh EH91PL
What is Summerhall?
Summerhall is a vibrant arts and entertainment hub in the centre of Edinburgh, located on the 2.5 acre site and 500+ rooms of the old Royal Dick School of Veterinary Studies building by the Meadows. Summerhall now runs a full-time events schedule including pop-up festivals, weddings, and conferences, as well as housing a year round music programme, The Royal Dick bar, Gallery Bar café and 125 commercial tenants all of which are part of the arts or creative industries.
What we are looking for…
Summerhall is looking for an experienced, hard working, and level headed Facilities & Maintenance Manager to oversee the running of this historic building. The role will work closely with the Operations, Events, and Lettings departments to make sure Summerhall is functioning efficiently and safely year round. This job is suitable for someone who is hands-on, practical and calm in difficult and complex situations relating to the running of a large site like Summerhall.
- Overall management of Maintenance Team
- Manage staff rota, annual leave, sick leave, recruitment, and handle any major disciplinary issues with the Maintenance Team
- Management of Summerhall staff cleaners as well as external cleaning company, Daybreak, by scheduling daily and weekly cleans of communal and events spaces
Project Management Duties
- Managing job allocation system (currently Zendesk, moving to the software Re-Leased) and monitoring job timelines and completion rates
- Project manage, supervise, coordinate, and oversee the quality control of work completed by contractors and staff
- Management of building’s pest control systems
- Waste management
- Asbestos management
- Management of trades and suppliers
- Utility/supplier management
- Procurement of Maintenance Department’s supplies, materials, and tools
Health & Safety Duties
- Ensure building meets Health and Safety requirements
- Manage staff training in Health & Safety and Emergency Procedures
- Ensure Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH) procedures are being fulfilled
Fire Safety Duties
- Development and upgrade of existing fire panel with aim to help transition to new building wide fire panel in 2022
- Fire marshal duties for Summerhall’s licensed areas and landlord tenanted areas
- Fire safety administration and record keeping of current documents regarding the fire systems, and the organisation and fulfillment of updating the building to meet current regulations
Interdepartmental & Strategic Tasks
- Risk assessments and COSHH procedures for workshop, venues and exhibition spaces
- Assess, spec and cost jobs for Summerhall Departments: Lettings, Events, Technical, Visual arts, Special projects, and Hospitality teams
- Participation in weekly Events meetings and advising/organising facility needs for events
- Responsible for advance planning of any major building works taken on by Summerhall with the goal of minimal business disruption
- Lead on Access Development, strategic assessment of organisation of accessibility needs and improvements to be made
- Recording all information on electrical distribution boards, water shut offs, gas meters and security procedures
- Support Estates Manager, Operations Manager, and General Manager with licensing applications and associated inspections
This role requires the successful candidate to work 5 days per week, from 08:00-17:00 daily (shift patterns across 7 days – usually Monday to Friday).
You may be expected to work additional days during busy periods of our event calendar.
How to Apply
Please send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Facilities & Maintenance Manager” by 17:00 on Friday 29th October 2021, interviews to be held week beginning 1st November. We are looking for an immediate start, so interviews may be held sooner for successful candidates.
Summerhall’s Equal Employment Policy is available to download here. Our Diversity monitoring form is available to complete here – this monitoring form is voluntary but the information we collect helps us to make sure that we are an actively inclusive organisation, and to work out what steps we need to take to do better.